Essential Question 8
Essential Question 8: What strategies do you use that are related to your “moral purpose”? How do these contribute to your overall leadership?
"Leading with moral purpose means having a commitment to making a difference in the lives and outcomes of students as a result of their experiences at school." (Bezzina, 2007) While I formally teach science, I frequently make my students aware that my job isn't to make sure that they know the element symbol of gold, but rather that they can grow into successful adults that positively contribute to society.
"Moral purpose is about both ends and means. In education, an important end is to make a difference in the lives of students. But the means of getting to that end are also crucial." (Fullan, 2001, p.26) There are two main strategies I use to encourage my students to be their best selves along the way: modeling and communicating.
Resources:
Fullan, M. (2001). Leading in a culture of change. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
Modeling: If I have learned anything from being a mother, it is that children are always watching what we do. So first and foremost, I strive to be a positive role model for my students. I do this by practicing honesty and respect, demonstrating responsibility, judging fairly, exhibiting devotion, and allowing my students to see how I embody these characteristics in and out of the classroom.
Communicating: I mentioned earlier that I make a point to tell my students that my main goal for them is to be a successful adult. In addition to that I often speak directly to my classes about right and wrong. Even though my students are high schoolers and speeding into adulthood, they are still children and sometimes they need reminders about how to handle situations. Often times we can also take time to discuss morality and ethics involved in the content we are learning about.
Communicating: I mentioned earlier that I make a point to tell my students that my main goal for them is to be a successful adult. In addition to that I often speak directly to my classes about right and wrong. Even though my students are high schoolers and speeding into adulthood, they are still children and sometimes they need reminders about how to handle situations. Often times we can also take time to discuss morality and ethics involved in the content we are learning about.
These strategies have helped me build relationships with my students and have contributed to my overall leadership. According to Sergiovanni, "Authentic leaders anchor their practice in ideas, values, and commitments, exhibit distinctive qualities of style and substance, and can be trusted to be morally diligent in advancing the enterprises they lead." (Fullman, 2001, p.27). My students see me as a real person, know that I am dedicated to them, and they trust me.
Resources:
Bezzina, M. (2007). Moral purpose and shared leadership / Leading and managing change / Leading change / Home - Educational Leaders. Retrieved from http://www.educationalleaders.govt.nz/Leading-change/Leading-and-managing-change/Moral-purpose-and-shared-leadership
Good blog. Strong moral plan.
ReplyDelete